I am relieved to advise you my ex wife and I maintain an amicable relationship. She has let me know her poem has been healing over the years, however it doesn't take away the pain I caused. I have committed to continuing therapy on my own and made my self available to hear her out as needed and make whatever amends are feasible.
I am not my past
I AM accountable for it.
I am also healing from it.
In closing, I do want to share with you that I have made a lifelong commitment to do the following
1) learn & teach healthy masculinity & consent to young men
2) ensure my open mic space remains sacred, safe, healthy and free from predators
3) abolish toxic masculinity
4) Facilitate ongoing consent workshops through my Kings For Consent series
Furthermore, I have taken the following steps in my life with information women have entrusted me with about men's predatory behaviours
1) Blocked employment from one individual after direct victims of his aggressions came forward to me pleading that he not be given a job in the community he traumatized women in.
2) Withdrawn a performance offer from an upcoming feature and advised him I could not support his poetic endeavors moving forward following a discussion with him and his declining my offer to participate in some type of a restorative justice process.
3) Advised a former slam poetry team member to quit our team and advised the team of his behaviour
4) Filed an OIPRD complaint on a police officer who opted to lecture a woman who had just witnessed a man expose himself to her in a public park instead of taking the report
5) Approached a past open mic attendant with accusations from his victim (with her consent), advised him he is no longer welcome in my spaces both virtual and physical and suggested he focus on naming his past upfront to women as I do.
6) Severed a friendship and business partnership with a close friend I was advised by an adult professional advocate had been emotionally manipulating a minor
7) Invited the men I have approached to participate in my Kings For Consent workshop series
Please know that I am completely open to addressing any concerns or questions you may have regarding this past behaviour and/or any thing at all related to this statement. I am also happy to leave it be. Lastly, if I have asked you to read through this statement prior to an engagement or performance offer, I am content to book you and refrain from any further contact beyond the contractual offer.
Thank you for reading through.
Take all the time you need with all of this.
Below you will also find attached a statement I published regarding my series and ensuring it's a safe space for women.